Calvi, the perfect territory for our products
Calvi dell’Umbria is a small medieval village on the slopes of Mount S.Pancrazio, in southern Umbria, bordering on Lazio.
From the top of the rock on which it is built, Calvi offers a magnificent view of forests, valleys, fields and vineyards stretching from the nearby mountains to the Tiber valley.
The first finds of the territory date back to the Bronze Age, but the fortified settlement that we call Calvi today is around the year 1000. Some administrative documents spoke of a “fundus Carbinianus”. Around the castle, throughout the middle ages, many agricultural and, above all, religious settlements arise. Calvi, among other things, was the birthplace of one of the Franciscan Protomartirs and is therefore closely linked with the origins of the Order of San Francesco d’Assisi.
From ‘400 to 800 Calvi is part of the State of the Church and enjoys some administrative autonomy that gives her long years of serene prosperity. However, Calvi does not escape the tormented events of Italy of those ages. In 1527 the castle was besieged and devastated by Lanzichenecchi and in 1798 by French soldiers marching to Rome.
In 1827 the territory was definitively assigned to the administrative control of Umbria, becoming part of Italy united with the plebiscite of 1860. The territory of Calvi is a succession of untouched forests and rounded hills, up to the valley of the Tiber. It is a natural landscape that constantly changes its colors with the natural cycles of seasons. Vineyards, woods, pine forests, secular oaks and olive groves make it an oasis of greenery where it is still possible to find moments of simple and quiet life that are now impossible in today’s heavily urbanized territories.
We mention, in particular, the Museum of the old Monastery and its newly renovated picture gallery.
For those who are traveling from Rome to the Marmore waterfall in Umbria, this can be a stop for relaxation and genuine rediscovery.